Parents often ask me how they can help their children with the writing process at home. Here are a few suggestions that you might be able to do starting today.
- Have your child write instructions for taking care of the family pet.
- Write a letter or thank you note to a relative. Talk through what your child wants to say before writing begins.
- Make a shopping list before going to the supermarket.
- Write an online review of a book or an item you recently purchased.
- Start keeping a personal diary, a household guest book, or a baby book for a younger sibling.
- Write out some great recipes that have worked, and then have some fun making it.
When engaging in writing, young children often mirror what they see around them; adults and older children writing lists, notes, text messaging. They are observing the way writing is used in our everyday lives. So another way to encourage your child to start writing is to do some writing yourself.